Wednesday, January 25, 2012

heARTwork, project 1

My younger students (grades K-2) are emulating the work of Jim Dine right now. We have a BUNCH of heart-related things going on at school right now, so while I usually don't like to do "Valentine's Cute"---I thought these would be a great tie-in to all things "heart".

The background has been created out of tissue paper "painted on" with a glue/water mixture. I love this technique because it creates a really cool tie-dye look! Next, the kids used a large (half) heart template to make the black heart (we drew on them with oil pastel first). Then they glued them on to construction paper and used the "fancy scissors" to cut a border around the heart.



I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do for the third heart layer until I saw these from Melissa at the Chocolate Muffin Tree! We cut out the hearts first (using the fold-symmetry technique) and put a little paint inside and pressed. I forgot how much fun that was! I'm sure you could use any sort of painted paper or media for another layer!


Lastly I had them use the leftover tempera to make swirls and lines that radiate from the heart. If they had lots of extra time they used oil pastel as accents.


We did this project in two class periods---one to create the background and the black heart, the second we did all the layering and accents. I did this project with my second graders.


I just love their heARTwork!!!

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Awesome .... I just posted Heart Blottos on my blog today! These are awesome!
    Here is the link: http://www.thechocolatemuffintree.com/2012/01/heart-blotto-valentines.html

    Now, I just noticed that you mentioned me! The pictures floored me and I skipped over the words! (That's Art Teachers for you!)

    Love Jim Dine and Hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, going to be trying this with my kinders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the boldness of colors and the expressiveness of lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I HEART this:-) We did a Jim Dine heart series last year. I will have to find it and do it with this year's class. Too cute and I love the contrast.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finished your lesson today. They turned out really nice! Thank you for sharing!

    http://itisartday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete