Friday, January 20, 2012

valentine's "dream catchers"

My Fourth graders are working on these beautiful heart-shaped "dream catchers" this week and I'm so giddy over them! We're using wire to form the heart (*they're using approximately 16" of wire each) and yarn to wrap and make the webbing.

TO keep the yarn from slipping and sliding on the edges, they're wrapping the yarn AROUND the wire (once to the right of the yarn, and once to the left of the yarn) to keep it in place before criss-crossing it to another spot on the other side. They are able to use pony beads on their dream catcher if they desire.



Here is a little closer view of a finished product. You can see the edges where they wound the yarn around the wire a couple times before criss-crossing to the other side.


*I had LOTS of disgruntled students during this project. Many heads banging on tables. Many kleenex-laden tables wiping tears away. Yes, a few projects became projectiles across the room in frustration. Their beef? The yarn was slipping on the edges and they just didn't understand how to wrap it a couple times before moving along. Once they got the hang of it, though, they felt silly about throwing tantrums.


**I should mention I have some of the most OCD students on the entire planet.


**I should also mention that said tantrums continued after I told them I wanted to hang them in my windows instead of allowing to take them home. Ahem. I'm so MEAN!

13 comments:

  1. These are so cute! What a wonderful take on the Dreamcatcher idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like these a lot - wish i hadn't just used the last of my wire... :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are beyond beautiful! pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally understand why kids could get frustrated! I remember those days of kids complaining they can't take a project home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute...Love it... Could we feature your creation on the 1st? Love the Communal Pantry Team (www.thecommunalpantry.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw these here ages ago:http://cfabbridesigns.com/most-popular-projects/yarn-hearts/

    and then tried to do them myself with much the same head banging on table results! Good to know about all the wrapping. Maybe I'll give it another go because yours look adorable - especially with the beads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi kate, you may absolutely feature these puppies :) THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are great. thanks for sharing them. what kind of wire did you use? I think I may have found my Valentine's Day project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did something similar last year with my students..we used pipe cleaners (I had millions in storage) no head banging since they wrap and stay where you smoosh them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for creating your blog! I am a K-5 art educator who just came back from maternity leave. I am zapped of my creative energy! I love you ideas. When I get my groove back I will have to create a blog to pay it forward.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WoW thanks for the idea,,,,We did these today V-day. My second graders sat in a large oval and we repeated "This is an arduous task" they worked together and got the job done! 22 dreamcatchers later... a huge classroom celebration! <3 Thanks

    ReplyDelete